Salads are healthy but sometimes a person can add something that will make it NOT that healthy.
1) Croutons – have ZERO nutritional value. Add 100 additional calories to your salad.
2) Bacon- NOT a good protein. 3 regular strips of bacon has more than 4,000 mg of sodium. They have preservatives called sodium nitrites which are not healthy. Even imitation bacon is sometimes full of sodium.
3) Processed or fried meat- they are crawling with preservatives, high sodium, and bad fats. They add protein but better to choose healthier options like: grilled chicken or turkey. WATCH OUT! Breaded or crispy is also another way to say fried. Take it easy on the fried.
4) Too much cheese- a little cheese is a good source of dairy plus gives flavor. BUT don’t empty the whole package of cheese in the salad.
5) Candied flavored nuts- nuts are a great source of protein BUT not exactly the ones covered in sugar. Watch OUT for : honey roasted, flavored, candied or any other word related to sugar. Use plain or raw nuts for texture.
6) Heavy dressings- THESE are the real salad offenders. Some are high in sodium, fats, sugar, and MSG. The creamier the dressing, the more calorie rich. Stay away from blue cheese and ranch. Use a lighter version like: a vinaigrette, lemon juice, olive oil and vinegar, poppy seed.
7) Too much dressing- TOO much of a lighter dressing is as bad as little of the unhealthy kind. Ask for the dressing on the side.
8) Iceberg lettuce- watery and have FEW nutrients. Go for Romaine, spinach, or red leaf.